NETFLIX: ARE YOU A TEEN BOSS?
This lesson idea offers questions to one Follow This Netflix original series, discussing social media influencers and ‘teen bosses’.
Age: teens, adults;
Group size: any;
Aim: to listen and talk about teen popularity and social media issues;
Skill: listening and speaking;
Preparation time: 30 min (watch the episode and print the worksheet);
Material: worksheet attached, you also need a NETFLIX account.
Traditional TV has its days counted… more and more of us leave satellite entertainment providers or ground-based TV channels and go online. My TV is called NETFLIX. What’s more it’s also the source of my inspiration for many of my lessons. Here is one idea.
The original NETFLIX series Follow this presented an episode on Teen bosses. In this lesson, you can talk about this new phenomenon using the ready-to-print worksheet (see below). The episode talks about minor online influencers, teen video bloggers, their business potential and social media issues.
– Print the attached WORKSHEET and go through it yourself while of after watching the episode.
– Design a suitable lead-in (it can be a pair- or small-group discussion about YouTube videos or any question about teenage lives).
– Show your students the video. If your students are higher levels, you can show them the whole video and ask them to take notes. In case you find it necessary, you can stop the video after every 5 minutes and check understanding.
– Tell your students to discuss their answers in pairs.
– Ask for and give feedback in whole class.
– Ask them for their own experience (from their lives or somebody they know).
– Give them some follow-up exercise, for example, writing a list of possible actions to take in order to protect these teens or writing an essay about the advantages and disadvantages of video blogs or social media channels like YouTube, etc.
You might also like to read:
– S.O.S. – Conversation – Problems and solutions
– ESL-BRAINS – B1-C1 video worksheets from Poland
WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO NOW?