DO YOU KNOW WHY YOU ARE TERRORIZED TO SPEAK ON THE PHONE IN ENGLISH?
We hate talking on the phone in English exactly for the same reason, why we hate the face masks: we cannot see the other speaker’s lips. We usually read their lips and this helps us fill in the gaps we might have due to background noise or any other disturbing factors.
So, we hate answering the phone in a foreign language because we lose an important part of the speaker: their lip movements, their face expression, the human need of seeing who we talk to.
However, we are often forced to make phone calls at work, so why not prepare for it?
ONLINE TASK TO PREPARE TO TALK ON THE PHONE IN ENGLISH:
Check out the exercises on the ELT-Tutor Listening Lab: find here interactive quizzes written for songs, videos, etc.
Practise with British Council – LearnEnglish: A voicemail message, (Skill Listening – Level A1).
Elizabeth Ferguson offers excellent exercises on her website to practice this: visit also her IELTS website.
If you need more help, read the ELT-Tutor phone course offer:
ELT-TUTOR’S ENGLISH COURSE ON THE PHONE:
– 10-hour course with personalized syllabus (considering your level and requests);
– online: you only need a Skype account or just a simple browser;
– a first chat to be scheduled: free and no strings attached (30 min max) – to decide about the topics related to your job and discuss possible appointments/availability;
– personalized course program including at least 5 possible phone situations you need to be prepared for (booking appointments, placing orders, taking messages, contacting clients, organizing events, etc.);
– the course includes: vocabulary training, pronunciation drill, listening tasks and simulation of phone conversations in every lesson;
– simulation will be repeated to get more confidence in talking on the phone;
– at least quarter of the course is conducted on the phone or in video conference without camera;
– email contact to ask questions if something is not clear;
– discount for fixed schedule, higher intensity and multiple-packages purchased.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO NOW?