YL FLYERS: FUTURE TRACING MEMO-GAME
A quick game to have 20 minute fun-time in a Flyers lesson after having taught future forms (going to and present continuous for the future).
Level: Flyers (A2);
Group size: any;
Aim: to activate previously learnt future forms;
Skill: writing (tracing) and speaking;
Grammar: going to and present continuous for the future;
Length: 30 min;
Preparation time: none;
Material: worksheet attached.
1. Give each student a worksheet and ask them to identify what the small pictures are for (calendar, birthday cake, February/month, 9/birthday, children/friends, sports center/gym, candle, presents/gifts).
2. Student are asked to trace the text on the worksheet (this way they should remember that names of the months are written with a capital letter).
3. Ask students to decide which sentences are in the present tense and which relate to the future (the ones starting from the picture with the boys).
4. Ask students to fold the worksheet in half vertically, so that they can see the beginning of every line. They are asked to remember the second half of the phrases in pairs or open class.
5. Ask students to turn the folded sheet and now they can see the second part of the lines. Repeat the task to reconstruct the missing words in pairs or open class.
6. Ask students to open the folded sheet and turn it. Ask students to retell you the text without looking at it.
7. On the back of the paper, students are now asked to write the text from their memory. Two things are important: spelling and the verb forms.
8. Ask them to check their answers in pair first with each other, then with the original text.
9. Ask for feedback and follow up.
YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE MATERIALS TOO:
YL activity books for Cambridge Starters, Movers and Flyers or any ESL primary classroom about Toys (free), Sweets, Beach, Animals, Meals, House, Clothes and many other topics. Shop around in the ELT-Tutor webshop.
YL Taboo cards following the official Cambridge YLE Wordlists. Ready-to-print, fun activity for vocabulary revision.
WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO NOW?IDEA